C. D. Peacock
The House of Peacock first opened its doors on February 9, 1837, the same year Chicago (population 4,000) was incorporated as a city. According to one historian, the opening of the city's first retail jewelry establishment in the small frame building on Lake Street marks Chicago's passing "from semi-savage conditions to civilization and refinement."
Founder Elijah Peacock, a skilled third generation watch and jewelry repairman, was lauded by his contemporaries for using his craft to repair pocket watches, thereby "quickening Chicago's efficiency". Under Elijah's stewardship, the House of Peacock introduced traditional Sheratonian tea service, Boardman coffee sets, trays, hot-water dishes, and candlesticks, enabling his upscale clientele to purchase some "old-world elegance".
When the great fire engulfed the city in 1871, headlines read, "Chicago in Ruin". Fortunately the House of Peacock survived; all the valuable merchandise had been locked in a fireproof vault. Eighteen years later, Elijah passed the mantle to his son Charles Daniel, and in 1889, the name was changed to C.D.Peacock. As the city grew, C.D.Peacock expanded along with it. Each store was designed to be a showplace for the finest jewelry, watches, and gifts; only the best materials such as Verde Antico Serpintine marble were utilized. The magnificent brass doors from C.D.Peacock in the world-famous Palmer House are legendary. The firm remains today at 101 South State Street.
From the earliest days, the record books read like a veritable Who's Who of Chicago: Cyrus McCormick (inventor of the reaper), George M. Pullman (inventor of the sleeping car), Potter Palmer, Marshall Field, Mary Todd Lincoln, and Mick Jagger. C.D.Peacock continues to cater discreetly to athletes, entertainers and other celebrities from Chicago and all parts of the United States. The oldest guild jeweler in the Chicago area, C.D.Peacock's tradition of commitment to quality and service continues.