Page 1 of 1         View All
Search Results for

"austrian"

Austrian Vase by Karl Koepping

An Austrian slender and tall vase in deep purple glass by Karl Koepping. The vase''s color is reminiscent of the purple traditionally made from the spiny dye-myrex snail at great expense and associated with royalty. A similar vase is pictured in the "Art Decoratif 1899 2" page 211.

Austrian Vase by Karl Koepping

Austrian Art Nouveau Bust of Ophelia by Josef Öfner

Austrian Art Nouveau patinated bronze bust of Ophelia by Josef Öfner. Like the sculpture of Maurice Bouval, Öfner depicts Ophelia as a sleeping woman adorned with flowers. The sculpture rests on a painted wood base. Signed,"J. Ofner". The Austrian sculptor Josef Öfner (born in Tannheim, Austria in 1868) studied under Auguste Kühne and Otto König and was active in Vienna around the turn-of-the-century. Like many of his peers, Öfner applied his skills to the decorative arts as well, producing gilt bronze vases and trays in addition to figural busts. Pictured in: "Dynamic Beauty: Sculpture of Art Nouveau Paris", by Macklowe Gallery, The Studley Press, 2011, p. 218.

Austrian Art Nouveau Bust of Ophelia by Josef Öfner

French Art Nouveau Ceramic Clock by Follot

An Austrian Art Nouveau porcelain and silvered clock by Paul Follot. This clock heavily features the arabesquing line of the Art Nouveau movement, both in shape and in the relief decoration. Abstract blue flower buds decorate the clock in panels at the top and behind the clock face. The silvered clock face and pendulum are also decorated in the whiplash motif, which makes this clock a complete and total work of Art Nouveau. A similar clock is pictured in: Art Nouveau: The French Aesthetic, by Victor Arwas, London: Andreas Papadakis, 2002, p. 333; a similar clock is also pictured in the 1904 Louis Majorelle Catalog, in the "Les Algues" Chamber, near the end of the catalog.

French Art Nouveau Ceramic Clock by Follot

Austrian Art Deco Nickel-Plated Jazz Band Sculptures

A set of two Austrian Art Deco nickel-plated Jazz Band sculptures, comprising a saxophone player and a drummer, by Franz Hagenauer. Karl Hagenauer was an influential designer in the Art Deco style. He enrolled at the Vienna School of Applied Arts at age eleven. He studied with Josef Hoffmann and Oskar Strnad and created designs for the Wiener Werkstätte art collective. After wartime service in the infantry, he resumed his training and qualified as an architect. He joined the family business in 1919 and soon took on leadership in both design and management. Karl Hagenauer was responsive to the change in public taste influenced by the popularity of the Vienna Secession. While Karl was the principal designer of everyday objects (and some sculptures), his younger brother Franz specialized in sculpture. Franz Hagenauer also studied from an early age with Franz Cižek at Vienna''s School of Applied Arts, and joined the family business at age twenty. His interest and talent lay in sculpture with sheet metals rather than cast figures. Later in his career he was head of metalwork and metal design classes at the Academy of Applied Arts. Franz took over the running of the company after Karl died in 1956. A band of seven musicians sold Sotheby''s, New York, June 15, 2011, lot 81. Base dimensions: Saxophone 18-3/4" x 12-1/2 ". Drum 12-3/4" diameter

Austrian Art Deco Nickel-Plated Jazz Band Sculptures